Real materials 32:
GREEN PEACE TURTLE TESSELLATION OCTAHEDRON
A do-it-yourself print-and-fold tessellation of turtles on the exterior of an 8-sided platonic solid, an octahedron.
This design is based on a hexagonal turtle tessellation by Bruce Bilney.
- Download one of the patterns, in JPEG or PDF format. Print it out. Make sure that the printing hasn't changed the heigh-to-width proportions: all the triangles are equilateral, meaning that their sides are all equal length.
- If you've downloaded and printed one of the coloring book style versions, color and decorate all the turtles.
- Leave the 5 white tabs attached, but cut out the entire shape as one big piece.
- Fold the shape into 8 equilateral triangles with 5 white tabs.
- Leave the tabs attached where they are, but tape or glue all the white tabs under the nearest tabless sides.
- You should end up with a solid-looking paper sculpture that looks a little like two 4-sided pyramids stuck together. You should see 8 triangular sides and 12 seamlessly connected turtles.